Throughout my career, dating back to the early 90s (insert gasping sound), I have selectively chosen positions that afforded me the opportunity to expand my knowledge and experience. Each new role built on the previous, giving me new tools (I like to call ‘weapons of mass construction’), confidence and ability to take on increasingly responsible positions. Today, as I look back, the early days seem like they were a millennium ago (and sort of were), where I began to develop my love of marketing and the mindset needed to be successful in my chosen field. I’ve developed into a confident, capable and collaborative marketing professional who is ready to embark on a new path – hopefully one with your organization.
Below is a select list of skills and achievements I have managed to cobble together over the years, beginning with my first few ‘real’ marketing jobs, all the way to recent years as a successful business owner.
- Over 25 years of marketing and communications experience
- Proven track record of developing and scaling cost-effective, profitable customer acquisition programs, online and offline
- Detail oriented with strong project and budget management skills
- Experience in rolling out enterprise communications (corporate, digital, social, and content strategy)
- Experience managing multiple projects and a variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, and writing skills
- Ability to work and negotiate effectively with senior level management, peers, reports and external parties
- Strategic approach and analytical problem solving skills to arrive at creative and innovative marketing solutions
- Extensive experience managing media relations, including outside agencies
- Deep understanding of marketing and communication principles
- Strong understanding of marketing processes and workflows for best-in-class organizations
- Savvy social media skills, including experience with HootSuite and similar social media management tools
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and effectively
- Strong computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of Salesforce.com or other CRM systems
- Responsiveness and professionalism in dealing with short deadlines
- High-energy professional who finds solutions, develops plans and implements profitable initiatives
- Strong knowledge of search engine optimization and search engine marketing with demonstrated success
- Knowledge of Act-On and other Marketing Automation systems
Here’s how and when I accumulated those skills, along with a short list of associated achievements…
Nortel Networks — Marketing Communications Specialist / Manager – October 1996—July 2000
Manager responsible for:
- Corporate and core business unit marketing and communications functions for the Microelectronics / Semiconductor Group.
- The selection, organization, attendance and contribution at external events such as exhibitions, shows and seminars.
- Maintaining the Nortel Semiconductor website, including all content, positioning statements, to maximize the lead capture potential and provides statistics to status the health of marketing communications.
- Development of messaging of external advertising campaigns, working with the product marketing groups to establish key value propositions of the products.
- Identifying and planning all press relations (PR) activities and institute a program to execute the activities and prepare supporting materials.
- Tradeshows and special events management including customer meetings, press and analyst tours.
- Marketing communications programs including advertising, direct mail and corporate web site and online communications program.
- Corporate and product marketing collateral such as print and multimedia advertising, PowerPoint presentations, product literature and training materials.
- Instrumental in creating and managing a successful tradeshow platform – resulting in greater visibility and lead generation.
- Responsible for redesigning website branding & messaging – resulting in a clear definition of our value proposition statements.
- Assembled detailed competitive and market intelligence reports – resulting in better corporate market positioning.
- Integrated customer feedback, data forecasts as well as other forms of intelligence into planning and strategic processes – resulting in a significant increase in customer satisfaction levels.
- Led the team that created a new & comprehensive collateral package – resulting in consistent branding and messaging both internally and externally.
Atreus Systems — Manager, Marketing & Communications – August 2000—August 2002
Manager responsible for:
- Planning, developing and implementing sales, marketing and communications programs.
- Supporting corporate investor relations programs.
- Contributing in formulating corporate positions and value propositions.
- Developing telemarketing program development and implementation.
- Co-creating communications strategy, planning and implementation including managing editorial, speaking and awards calendars.
- Planning tradeshow and event calendar development and management.
- Creating webcast program planning, development and implementation.
- Leveraging all marketing and channel vehicles in order to increase corporate visibility.
- Creating marketing materials including web site, press kits, news releases, backgrounders, presentation materials, Q&As, executive speeches and other collateral.
- Developing and managing marketing program budgets.
- Providing detailed results metrics in order to assess strategic communications effectiveness.
- Successfully managed all internal and external sales and marketing activities – resulting in greater cross-functional communication.
- Synthesized and simplified complex corporate messaging and positioning statements into key value propositions.
- Strategically researched and drafted internal and external correspondence, content for brochures, Internet and Intranet information, news releases, newsletter articles, fact sheets, as well as all other communications vehicles – resulting in consistent branding and messaging both internally and externally.
- Successfully worked with cross-functional groups from internal communications to sales.
- Proficiently managed all event-based, lead generation and communications activities including tradeshows, webcasts, conferences and summits – resulting in a significant increase in quality sales leads and market visibility.
- Creatively and cost-effectively leveraged partner, customer and analyst relations – resulting in a measurable increase in market visibility and brand recognition.
Royal Canadian Mint — Manager, Communications – October 2002—January 2004
Manager responsible for:
- Developing and implementing multi-faceted communications, media and corporate visibility strategies.
- Providing internal consultation and guidance to the President, VP Communications and other senior officials on all corporate identity and positioning statements.
- Developing and delivering creative communications concepts for major product launches.
- Developing, managing and implementing the corporate brand identity strategy.
- Extensive experience in developing and managing all aspects of the media relations.
- Writing a variety of executive-level communications material including: speeches, board presentations, briefing notes, media releases and consumer responses.
- Improving the level of internal communications across all levels of management and throughout a diverse organization.
- Collaborating with Marketing, Product Management and Sales in delivering communications programs including: sales support tools, RFP support, communications plans, customer hosting events, collateral development, promotions and advertising.
- Wrote, edited and developed new media and tour content for RCM visitors.
- Developed and managed all aspects of the RCM’s first live, global webcast for the launch of the ‘Poppy Coin’ in Winnipeg.
- Promoted to acting VP Communications for last six months of term, in lieu of open role (due to illness).
- Managed all internal and some external communications, resulting in enhanced cross-departmental and member group relations.
- Supported PR manager in developing improved media strategies and crisis communications practices.
Export Development Canada — Sr. Advisor, Corp. Comms & Public Affairs – January 2004—January 2005
Senior Advisor responsible for:
- Developing, administering and monitoring strategic and operational communications plans and related standards, guidelines and policy frameworks governing corporate communications and marketing / promotional initiatives.
- Managing public opinion research and analysis.
- Providing comprehensive media monitoring and management reports and briefings to the executive.
- Researching and analyzing media trends and undertaking environmental scans.
- Developing print, Web and multimedia publishing.
- Promoting EDC’s brand and key messages among the media, partners, target groups and the public.
- Designing, developing and successfully managing Canada EDC’s most ambitious media tour.
- Developed and implemented EDC’s most media friendly and success roadshow ever.
- Was the front line media outreach person, resulting in several media scrums (first ones ever for EDC) and multiple P1 articles in primary outlets.
- Wrote and edited several published customer profiles for EDC publications.
- Created EDC’s most comprehensive internal news media clippings daily circulation for executive team.
- Worked collaboratively with EDC’s Marketing group to co-develop new sales and media collateral.
Environment Canada — Marketing Program Director, UN Climate Conference – February 2005—December 2005
Director responsible for:
- Developing, managing and producing the 10-day, 96 event webcast program.
- Managing the development and design of the official Montreal 2005 website.
- Managing over 20 inter-governmental groups to coordinate messaging and content.
- Working with several foreign and international agencies, including the UN to align and design effective marketing and communications strategies.
- Managing multiple outside agencies, including translation, creative and content development teams.
- Initiated and managed all aspects of EC’s most ambitious live and pre-recorded webinar program (without a hitch, I might add).
- Worked collaboratively with outside film agencies, hosting companies and multiple crews to capture, edit 300+ hours of video over 10 days.
- Oversaw a team of 20 inter-departmental professionals to coordinate real-time breaking news, published to event website.
- Developed the website brand, structure and communications process and strategy leading up to and throughout the international event.
- Managed several external, third party organizations in the planning, development and hosting of multiple forms of content.
- Worked alongside several high-ranking (DG, DM and ADM-level) governmental officials, as well as UN delegates, to navigate all communications hurdles.
BlueCat Networks — Director, Marketing & Communications – January 2006—May 2008
Director responsible for:
The development, implementation and management of BlueCat Networks’ strategic marketing plan. Managing the marketing communication, internal/external branding, business development marketing strategies, and supporting the development and promotion of new products for each respective business unit, including:
- Managing the overall marketing and communication strategies, including the management of a multi-million dollar marketing budget.
- Developing, writing and promoting press releases, features and articles for various news wire services and/or publications;
- Create company newsletters (or e-newsletters) that support and promote product offerings, events and services.
- Working with respective company Developers, Product Managers, Department Directors, Sales Team Leaders etc. to solicit and integrate feedback into the sales and marketing process.
- Working with internal staff and external agencies/freelancers to develop promotional and sales support concepts and oversee execution, print production and distribution as required.
- Ensuring the continuity of content across all marketing media including: Sales Support Materials, Trade Advertising, websites.
- Developing sales support and promotional materials for product lines as required by the internal Sales force, Customer Care team and VARs.
- Leading the development, implementation and management of the firm-wide Brand Architecture.
- Developing and implementing branding initiatives; develop strategy and build the firm’s brand value propositions.
- Working closely with individual business units to support revenue generation initiatives.
- Integrating the brand strategy with Marketing Communications, including advertising via appropriate medium.
- Partnering with key stakeholders to better communicate consistent mission value statements and key attribute messages internally and externally to both existing and prospective customers.
- Participating in conferences, national and international fairs and other marketing related events
- Proactively integrating research and analysis results into product development, marketing and analytical plans.
- Providing competitive intelligence and reports on current activities/trends within relevant industries.
- Introduced an integrated marketing and communications strategy in support of business development activities resulting in record lead generation, brand awareness and revenue.
- Oversaw all event planning and reward & recognition programs to generate record, quality leads, media/analyst coverage and brand awareness, including:
- Quantity of qualified leads increased 44%
- Revenue growth of 77% in last 10 months alone
- Increased media and analyst relations coverage by over 245% YoY
- Developed and successfully introduced new corporate messaging and positioning documentation and marketing collateral, including brochures, videos, web and podcasts, advertorial and web copy.
- Produced and implemented comprehensive business building and niche marketing programs/materials to guide all facets of the client and inside sales relationship management including: brochures, ROI’s, business cases, testimonials and marketing support materials.
- Initiated, launched, tracked and managed the companies most successful product release.
- Introduced internal / external branding policy and best practices plan.
- Successfully managed the company’s RFP response program, resulting in over $15M in revenue.
- Participated in and was a key contributor in driving annual revenue from less than $20M to over $35M in less than two years.
- Spearheaded successful PR initiatives that resulted in several national and international awards, articles and interviews.
Recycle Frog – VP, Marketing & Communications – June 2008—January 2014
Director responsible for:
- Managing integration of brand value, ensuring that all facets of delivery accurately reflect the brand.
- Developing and implementing an annual communications and marketing plan.
- Ensuring all communications, media and marketing expenditures fall within authorized budget parameters.
- Managing all aspects of the corporate website and social media tools.
- Managing media relations including develop media plans and key messages, coach and prepare key spokespeople for interviews, write advisories, news releases and commentaries, and pitch stories.
- Developing and implementing RF’s marketing, advertising, and public relations activities including client seminars, centers of influence (COI) functions, tradeshows and other special events.
- Overseeing the management and marketing of over 450 annual, local events, including budget, promotions, etc.
- Preparing print and other multi-media advertising and tracking the success of those initiatives.
- Writing all content for marketing and communication materials, including brochures, reports, websites, newsletters and articles.
- Developing, maintaining and keeping current all corporate marketing materials and related files such as videos, photos, logo files etc.
- Planning, organizing and managing all the marketing activities for the organization.
- Establishing, developing and implementing the company’s marketing strategies.
- Formulating and implementing all marketing policies and objectives within the company.
- Creating and developing strategies for promoting and selling products or services.
- Overseeing marketing communication including branding, public relations, advertising and other marketing collateral.
- Making and sustaining presentations, sales training and product launch materials.
- Developing and managing the annual Communications and corporate budget.
- Coordinating and evaluating all market research.
- Maintaining long term relationships with business partners, clients and company staff.
- Overseeing the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Establishing and promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentoring and developing staff using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Actively engaging, cultivating and managing press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Recycle Frog programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Establishing and monitoring staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Developed successful, detailed and integrated marketing and brand strategy in line with the strategic vision of the organization.
- Introduced a highly profitable referral program that increased revenue 17%, with minimal capital cost.
- Created, implemented and measured profitable campaigns and initiatives that drove annual sales revenue of $90k in Year 1 to $5M, $8M and $9M in years 3, 4 and 5, respectively.
- Oversaw the management and marketing of over 450 annual events, representing over 80% of corporate revenue.
- Drove greater accountability for marketing expenditures, resulting in a 19% decrease in spending while increasing revenue and NI over 20% and 16%, respectively.
- Leveraged social media to grow Recycle Frog brand into the most recognized precious metals recycling company in Eastern Canada.
- Identified and developed new promotional avenues to support revenue and program objectives.
- Developed and leveraged new networks to create multi-million-dollar revenue generation streams.
- Designed, built and implemented cross departmental corporate policies.
- Managed a $1.8M marketing budget that generated at least $7M and $1.5M NI annually (2012 and 2013).
- Pioneered and implemented measurable strategies that drove hard revenue goals and increased awareness.
- Established a best-in-class web presence, with ‘top 3’ SEO.
- Hired, trained, mentored and monitored a team of (up to) 18 sales and marketing professionals.
- Created all internal and external communications and training documents.
- Built a PR machine that achieved positive and consistent media visibility and brand awareness, including print, TV, radio and online publications.
- Created a compelling, friendly brand that propelled Recycle Frog to the number one position across Ontario and the Maritimes (our two markets).
shApp Inc. – VP, Marketing & Communications – January 2014—March 2016
Director responsible for:
- Developing and implementing an integrated strategic communications plan to advance shApp’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Creating marketing/public relations strategy for shApp leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Recruiting and managing a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Identifying challenges and developing strategies do manage emerging issues faced by the organization.
- Working with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Overseeing and developing shApp’s brand, print communications including marketing collateral materials and electronic communications.
- Developing shApp’s website design and strategy, along with all new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Serving as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercising judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Managing all marketing programs for the firm, including multiple social media outreach activities using Hootsuite.
- Developing and overseeing marketing budget and assist with negotiation of contract terms with outside agencies and vendors.
- Coordinating demand generation activities (marketing and promotional campaigns such as print, electronic media, trade show, direct mail, electronic marketing and signage) that support new business development.
- Writing, editing and developing presentations for various audiences, including investors, media and internal stakeholders.
- Implementing and managing all supporting technologies necessary to support the marketing function.
- Developing all online materials (blog posts) as well as seminars and webinars.
- Writing / editing articles and presentations for publication.
- Deployed multiple new systems and department processes to provide marketing and communications activity transparency.
- Created and launched revenue improvement strategies driving increased margin performance.
- Developed and scaled efficient and effect customer acquisition programs, online and offline.
- Expertly initiated enterprise-wide communications activities and programs (digital, social, and content strategy development).
- Leveraged HootSuite social media management system to coordinate all social media outreach.
- Utilized enhanced computer skills, including Apple and Microsoft Office applications.
- Employed in depth knowledge of search engine optimization and search engine marketing strategies
- Successfully positioned organization for corporate buyout.
The bottom line is… I have accumulated quite the bag of marketing tools over these past 25 years. And while I am confident in my abilities will help any organization take their Communications programs to the next level, I’m interested in helping Nav Canada the most.
Here’s hoping you see the possibilities – and want to reach out to learn more about how I can help Nav Canada achieve its full communications potential. Contact me today!